Nov 8, 2012
The Future is Only As Bright as our Faith
I think I wrote this blog post in my head about 4 dozen times over the last two days. And each time, it started a little different, and had a different tone. Now, as I sit down to begin, I don't know where to start, or what to say, or how to say it. So forgive me for the following jumble of thoughts, that surely will have no organization or flow. But get them out, I must.
Tuesday was a big day for me, as I'm sure it was for all Americans. I hoped and prayed for Mitt Romney to win. I had confidence, even if there was still some doubt. I thought the tides had turned in his favor, and that the country was beginning to see what a great man he is, and what a great leader he can be. Even dear little Ana prayed for Mitt Romney to win the election in every prayer. I'm not sure her little mind understood exactly why, but she knew he needed to win.
Surely Americans can see that our country isn't well, I thought. Surely people look at the unemployment rate, decreased household incomes, a sunken stock market, and the horrendous, unprecedented debt?
Surely Americans wonder who Obama really is, and where his ideologies come from? Of course people have seen how he has reduced our military power even as other potential superpowers are increasing there's? Of course Americans aren't stupid: they know that the President of the United States flat out lied about a terrorist attack on our Americans in Libya, and then tried to cover it up? Or that he refuses to acknowledge the growing threat of terrorism to us and the world as radical jihadists continue to grow stronger in the Middle East? Or that his foreign policies are, as we speak, weakening our country's image in the minds of other nations around the world?
Surely Americans recognized that Obama's campaign mentioned nothing about his dismal record, and nothing about his agenda for the future (two things I would think important for an incumbent president to include?) Instead it focused on demonizing his opponent, with the objective to symbolically "kill" him. (kill being the exact word out of an Obama campaign aid's mouth, by the way.) These things were staring them in the face! How could they not see it???!!! How could they not see through him????!!!
These were all things that I thought as I watched the results trickle in one by one Tuesday night. And when Obama won Ohio, I could watch no more. I sat, stunned, too shocked to speak. I cried into Thad's shoulder. My heart was broken. For our country, and for Mitt Romney and his dear family, who ran such a gallant, courageous campaign.
What has our country come to? That we vote such a dishonest, deceitful man into office? Because if people haven't come to that realization by now, then as one radio talk show host put it, "they either don't want to know the truth, or they aren't looking for it." And shame on them for that.
Wednesday morning I awoke early and sat solemnly, eating breakfast with Benjamin and Ana. When Ana said the prayer for our food, she once again prayed for Mitt Romney to win the election. I choked back tears as I told her that she didn't need to pray for that anymore because Mitt Romney didn't win. I told her that Mommy was a little sad today because of it.
Since then I have wondered, as I'm sure others have, how has this has happened? Is it a fundamental shift in society's values? Was it all the people on food stamps that swayed the vote? Or females who want women's rights? Or minorities who feel that Obama will be more fair to them? Was it voters who sympathized with poor Obama and wanted to give him a second chance? Because, after all, he is the first "black president." Is it a shift toward entitlements? Do the majority of Americans now rely on government for their well-being? That is a scary, scary thought, if liberals have indeed created such a needy, dependent society.
Or was it voter fraud? Was our system rigged? Perhaps it was the liberal media (they, I am quite sure, were one of the biggest, if not the biggest, factor in Romney's loss), and their determination to protect and defend this president, and his liberal agenda, at any and all costs?
What happened to working hard, saving your money, earning your own living, and providing for yourself and your family? What happened to electing officials that will serve the people, rather than bypassing them altogether to satisfy their own agenda?
What will the future bring for Thad and I? Should we start investing even as the stock market looks more and more tumultuous, and as investors think twice about the stability of their returns? Are we going to have money to retire? Are we going to be able to continue to save at all? Looking at interest rates, and home prices, it doesn't look promising.
In the midst of all these questions, Thad and I have come to a few conclusions. One: Heavenly Father is in charge. He is wise and all-knowing, and through Him can we find peace and happiness, even in the midst of darkness. Two: We need to make sure that our household is in order. Food storage, emergency savings, and other emergency preparedness things. Three: Mitt Romney's candidacy was great for the Church. The church received a lot of publicity, and a lot of people learned a lot more about the Mormon faith. All while a swell of missionaries entered the mission field to teach and convert.
And I've also concluded, as I've listened to friends and talk radio hosts, that this is not a time to sit down and give up, although I can't help but feel like that at the moment. We need to be involved in our communities, trying to stay informed so we can continue to elect good leaders, and vote for good laws and ordinances in the land. We need to uphold our values, and hold elected officials to those values. We can still stand for truth and righteousness, even when others around us do not.
Our country is still great, and it will always be great. I love this quote by Harold B. Lee. I couldn't find the source of the quote on lds.org, but it is nevertheless a good quote.
"Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their bounds, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principles laid down by men whom God raised up, will never fail.
"Yes, I repeat, men may fail, but this nation won't fail. I have faith in America, if we understand the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are living in a day when we must pay heed to these challenges.
"I plead with you not to preach pessimism. Preach that this is the greatest country in all the world. This is the land of our forefathers. It is the nation what will stand despite whatever trials or crises it may yet have to pass through."
Amen! And I'm still proud to be an American!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know this is going to sound petty and ridiculous, but the thing that offended me them most during Mr. Presidents celebration was the music. What happened to Patriotic music in America? Do we deem 'Who'da think you are Mr. Bigshot' a patriotic melody? The celebration music was terribly inappropriate for the event. I firmly that believe that music often speaks louder than words.
Anyways, God Bless America. Thanks for the post.
Loved your post. Totally agree. I still can't help but cry about the whole thing.
So glad we know who's team we are on :)
Post a Comment