Oct 24, 2012

Just a Normal Day

Today was a good day. Ana slept in a little so I had to rush her through breakfast and getting dressed so I could get her to preschool on time. Eight-thirty is so early!

B and I spent the next 2 1/2 hours putting together a shopping list, putting on my makeup, and grocery shopping.

When I picked Ana up we ran to Smith's to grab a few items that I didn't have time to get while she was in school. Benji, for the first time, expressed that he, too, wanted to push a kids cart. Oh, I suppose! I only had three things to get anyway, so how bad could it be? I enjoyed watching him push his cart around happily, following Ana, and running into things at high speed. It made me laugh all the way through the store. But that can't happen every time, so I might have just set a dangerous precedent.


After lunch I put B down for a nap, and Ana had a friend come over. I got to clean up the kitchen, put some laundry away, and read scriptures on the couch. It was nice to have some quiet time. I have been struggling to read my scriptures lately. I have been feeling an urgency to read them and understand them better, especially after conference, but for some reason I am just struggling to do it! I can't wake up early enough to read them before the kids are up, and I find it hard to focus on reading during the day when there's that phone  call that I need to make, or the project that I want to get to before Benji wakes up ... and lets not even joke about reading  before bed. That would put me right to sleep. And then there's the problem of what I should be studying. I have gone back and forth, tried different things, but haven't found the most effective way to study the scriptures. The problem is I don't really know how to study them. So I feel like I'm not getting as much out of it as I should be. Anyone have any suggestions? This a is kind of personal so maybe I shouldn't have even spilled that little frustration at all. But really, how do other people study effectively? I would love to get some ideas.

Anyway, back to my day. This kids and I went for a little walk in the freezing cold late afternoon before heading back to the warmth of our ember-smelling home. Love those Pier One reed diffusers. They are the best!

Once home, Benji said he had to poo poo so Ana took him to the bathroom where she proceeded to pull down his pants and yank his diaper down around his ankles to he could sit on his potty. I just pulled it out a few days ago and he thinks its fun to sit on and pretend he's going potty. It was another cute scene with the both of them. So he sat on the pot for a few minutes, smiling and giggling, then got up and I proceeded to get him dressed again. And to my surprise, I found that he had peed! All over his jeans! Haha. I haven't put the pee guard in yet. That's pretty exciting, whether he meant to pee in the potty or not.



Thad came home earlier than normal, (5:30-6 is starting to be normal) which is always exciting. He winterized the sprinklers quickly before the sun went down, and we had pesto fettucine and a green salad for dinner, which I always love.

 And after dinner Thad got some quality play time with the kids. They love playing monster with him. He kneels in the middle of the fam room floor and reaches for them while grunting and growling, and they run around and squeal, and throw the pillows off of the couch and jump on them. It's as fun to listen to as it is to watch.

And now the kids are in bed, Thad is doing dishes so I can sit and relax, and then, hopefully, we will watch a Halloween movie. And by Halloween movie, I mean like, Hocus Pocus. We're not into the scary ones. It' then end to a good, fall day.

1 comment:

meg baker said...

This is what I have found for us that works, but that doesn't mean it works for every family. I was really struggling reading my scriptures in the busy day of being a mom. So we developed that I read my scriptures by their bedroom door while they fall asleep. This has been cool for many reasons, but one being that the kids ask me every night to read my scriptures. Kids are amazing! How can I not do it when they ask right? Also they know that their mom reads her scriptures every night. Also, I put them to bed before I feel the need to crash so I don't fall asleep. It also means that I'm pretty strict about that it is bed time and they have to go to sleep so mommy can focus on the scriptures. This might not help, but it transformed my reading scriptures to actual studying them. Good Luck that is a toughy!