We had a great 4th of July this year. Thad's parents came to visit us for the week. On Wednesday we went to the I-dee-ho Falls parade, as usual. Only this year ... my dad rocked one of the floats! He was asked to be a founding father on the Declaration of Independence float, and they ended up winning "best float" (I forget in what category). I didn't envy him though; hot, sweaty wig and wool suit with support stockings in 90 degree weather ... no thanks. He looked pretty cool though.
And my mom pointed out at some point during the day that me and Ana matched, and so did Thad and Benji. We didn't consciously plan that! Haha. After the parade we got to: take naps, lounge, I painted me and Ana's nails patriotic colors, and we ate hamburgers, lots of watermelon, corn on the cob, and the best baked beans ever (they are awesome: it's a recipe that I got from my cooking class at BYU-I). Thad and his dad went to the car show down on the river during the day.
And then ... it was time for fireworks. We've gone to the river every year that we've been here, and every year we have really enjoyed ourselves. Thad and I like to walk around and people watch, buy donuts, peruse the vendors and see if there are any live bands playing, and play with the kids in the grass. We got there a little later this year, though. We caravaned with Thad's parents and mine, and the only spot we could find was a steep hill with tall trees blocking our view of the fireworks. But we made it work. Except for poor B, he never really could get the hang of walking on that steep incline. He fell down every time he tried.
Cool Aunt Dru came down with her roomies and came over to hang out with us for a little bit
B was a little scavenger all night. Every time I turned around he had snuck over to the food, and was stuffing his face. I think he ate half the Red Vines bag before we even noticed.
Grandma Hymas bought the kids glow sticks, and it was all fun and games until Analyn accidentally chewed through her stick and got a mouthful of glowing stuff. She freaked out a little bit and had to take a break from the glow sticks for a while
My dad practiced making firework noises and gestures with Benji before the fireworks started, so he wouldn't be as scared when he heard the real thing. The first few real fireworks were ok, but then they got really loud. So instead of screaming with fear, Benji just layed his head down on my dad's shoulder and checked out. It was pretty funny. He was asleep within minutes.
And last Saturday my mom happened to stop by her neighbor's house on just the right night, because her neighbor happens to be some our good friends' from Palmdale's parents. And it turned out our friend's fam was having a family reunion, so we got to go and visit them!
So Thad worked with Steve on the hospital in Palmdale, and his wife, Rachel, and I were good friends. We were in the same ward, and same apartment complex. I miss those guys -- they always make me laugh. It was good to see them again.
(stupid camera!!!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment