May 21, 2012

...Be Prepa-a-a-ared!

I was singing that to the tune of Scar's solo on "The Lion King," when he's telling the Hyena's about his plan to kill Mufasa. Sorry, Ana got really into that movie after her cousin Brenton left last time and she watched it like 40 times over the next few weeks (I may be exhaggerating a little). So when I thought about the 72-hr kits that we made, this song popped into my head.



We finally started a 72-hr kit for family home evening a couple months ago. This has been on my mind for years. It has stressed me out, and overwhelmed me. We finally bought something to keep our kit in, and I gathered what we've accumulated over the past several years and we crossed them off the list and put them in. One of the things that kept me from starting our kit was what to put it in??? I know some people do big duffel bags or buckets or tubs. But if I'm in an emergency and I just need to grab my kit and go, how am I going to manage 2 kids plus a huge, awkward bucket or tub with no handles? Or a huge duffel bag that I'd have to slump over my shoulder? That seems impractical to me. So I finally had the idea for a suitcase. I can grab the handle and roll it behind me. How easy?!

It feels so good to know that if there is an emergency, at least we have something. There's no food or water in it yet though ... so that should probably be the next addition. But B will have plenty of diapers!

1 comment:

Monk Family said...

Great Idea! We have started the same thing, but for some reason diapers didn't occur to me!!! We would have really been in trouble! This is perfect though because I have a pack of diapers that are opened, but I hate-they keep leaking. I have wanted to buy more but my frugal side says I can't just not use them. But putting them in our 72hr kits is perfect! Thanks for the inspiration Linds!