No I've never watched the movie, or had any desire to; not only because it is Rated R, but because I don't like scary movies anyway. Especially demented ones. But once in high school a class-mate showed a clip from the movie as part of a presentation, and ever since then I am scared to drive by corn fields at night, and I hate when things pop up out of nowhere.
So fast forward to a few months ago when we put Ana into her big girl bed. At first I think she was scared to leave her bed after waking up and she'd sit and call "Mamma," over and over until I came to get her. Eventually she learned to get out of bed on her own, and she'd lay on the floor in front of her door until we opened it for her. Once she realized she could OPEN her door and come out, yeah, that's when she started creeping me out.
Thad would be eating breakfast before work and suddenly she'd appear in the kitchen behind him and scare him to death. Or I'd wake up from a nap on the couch to find her standing next to me, which always made me jump. And recently she started coming into our room at night. Here's where Children of the Corn comes in. It's dark, I'm groggy, and Ana wakes me up with a soft, "Momma," while sitting three inches from my face. Talk about scary.
And a few days ago I totally freaked out when I woke up in the middle of the night, not sure why. I laid there under the covers, staring up at the ceiling, then slowly gazed around the room. That's when my unfocused, near-sighted eyes caught a glimpse of her small frame, crouched at the foot of the bed (on top of Thad's legs.) Just sitting there, silently. Scared me to death. In my rational mind I knew it was Ana, probably scared from a dream or something, but the irrational, still sleeping part of my brain took over and I gasped and screamed Thad's name while shaking his arm violently. He woke up and all I could make out was, "Ana!"
He looked down at poor, timid Ana -- with that masculine thing called common sense-- and immediately drew her into his arms for reassurance because I was scaring her. Poor thing. By then I had calmed down a little and I hugged her and apologized for freaking out. Turns out she was hungry and wanted a piece of bread and butter. She must have been too scared to wake us up.
Then, yesterday morning Ana came into my room a few minutes after I had woken up. I was sitting in my PJs in bed, feeding Benji. She asked where Daddy was.
"He's at work," I replied.
"He was right there, sleeping. And mommy was sleeping. And he was sleeping on his pillow," she said.
"Ana, did you come in here while we were sleeping?"
"Yeah."
Is it weird that the thought of that sent chills up my spine?
4 comments:
oooohh my! stuff like that scares me. Even when it's your own child. I don't think it's necessarily that she's the one sneaking in, but I think it's that if she can sneak in and just stare at you, who else could? That is one of my biggest fears-waking up and finding some murderous stranger staring at me in the dark. I know, a little morbid and dark, but still, it's a fear. Hopefully she can learn to wake you up and not scare you!
I am very much the same way....freaked out by my own children roaming around the house at night!! AH!! The older (and more confident they get) and the more children you have the freaker it gets! JUST A WARNING!! :$
Thanks for the laugh! Don't feel bad, I would be totally creeped out too. Let's just hope it's a phase and she'll grow out of it soon. :)
Seth always puts his nose 2 inches from mine before he says my name. Crazy!
Post a Comment