A couple weeks I spent a busy weekend in Utah. Friday, my grandpa's funeral. Saturday, Thad's marathon. And Sunday was Steve's second baby's blessing. But back to Thad's marathon.
Ever since his first race six weeks before, he'd been dying to improve his tactics. The race ran the length of Antelope Island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake, across the "piece of land that connects the island to the main land" (I forget the name?), and ended in Layton, Utah.
Thad wanted to focus more on pacing himself this time, since during his last marathon he ran the first half way too fast and had to run-walk by mile 20. As I watched the clock at the finish time, the minutes ticked away and his first finish time came and went. One minute over, two minutes, three. I worried that he'd be disappointed that he didn't beat his time. Finally, amid cheers from me, his sister Emily, and my family, Thad rounded the last bend and completed the forever long race. I asked him afterward if he was disappointed with his time, and he grinned. Not at all. His goal was to pace himself better, and he did just that. He paced himself so well, that he RAN THE WHOLE THING!!!! I am soo proud of him!
Here's the cheering squad waiting to unleash our enthusiasm at the first sight of Thad.
And here's little Spencer James Monk, Steve and Cami's second baby. They make such cute babies!
1 comment:
Way to go, Thad!
Post a Comment