Sep 7, 2009

Four Men and an Intern

Three summers ago Thad and I lived with his parents while we completed internships for school. I interned at Marketing Matters, Inc., a full-service advertising agency, completing market research, writing press releases, and squeezing in some secretarial work.

In was an interesting summer not only because most of our clients were muscle car companies and I know nothing about cars, but because my boss was male, my three co-workers were male, and I was the only female in the building. It made for some kind-of awkward situations and when I think about them now I still laugh. So I'll be posting them throughout the week and maybe they'll give someone else a laugh, too.

Awkward Situation #1
Once my boss, Jon, decided it was a good idea to give me a run-down on some important terms like distribution, warehouses, wholesale, and things like that. We met in the only conference room in our suite, just to the left of the front entrance. About an hour into our “educational session,” my eyes started to water. Occasionally I get dry eyes because of one thing or another. This time I think it was because all of the one-on-one eye contact was making me uncomfortable. Whatever the case, my eyes started stinging and I tried to blink it away, but that just made it worse. I started scrunching them and making all kinds of weird faces, to lessen the burning. My boss noticed, I’m sure, but instead of being normal and just telling him, “sorry, my eyes are just dry, it’s no big deal,” I got shy and acted like nothing was wrong. Jon even paused a few times, not sure if he should stop or ask me what was wrong. I’m pretty sure we both just endured two hours of awkwardness: me straining to look at him through tear-stained, half-closed eyes, and him glancing at me, not sure what the heck was going on inside my head.

No comments: