Aug 21, 2009

Hymas Reunion

It was a busy six days in Carnation, Washington; a packed little house with 23 warm bodies and a lot of energized grandkids. But we didn't spend much time indoors. Lynetta, the oldest Hymas child, and her husband, Duane, offered up their beautiful house for our reunion. Can I just say it's like a home right out of Country Living? Beautifully renovated interior, chalked full of old, rusty pails and other antique finds, a wrap-around porch, and a picturesque back yard complete with a babbling brook only 20 yards away.







Despite the chilly start to our vacation, the cool weather didn't stop us from visiting an old train station in Snoqualmie ...





... or eating at a 1950s diner, then hiking through a beautiful trail in the forest.











Have you ever seen a tree growing out of the stump of another tree? If only I could remember the name for it ...



A freeway shuttling cars across the vast sky far above the forest floor. The massive concrete columns rising up out of the dense, green forest was truly a sight to behold.



On the warmer days, we picniced at a park with farm animals and hiking trails ...



... took family pictures:





Thad's family, minus a brother and a sister



... and rafted down the river! Thad and his brother-in-law, Duane, testing out the waters.



The rest of the crew before we embarked on our half-hour journey. The river was lower this year because of the drought, so we had to literally push ourselves over the rocks through some parts of the it, but it was still fun! The water was freezing, too. But after a while you just get numb and then its not as bad.



Taking the grandkids to "treasure island," aka the embankment on the other side of the river.



I'd have to say, the best part of the reunion was the "Tacky Talent Show." It was a scene straight out of "Dan in Real Life." We had the adorable house plus a built-in stage and audience seating, the funny emcee, the good humor and of course, a room full of talent. Good thing we got the whole thing on film.



Thad and I re-enacted the "Elephant Medley" from "Moulin Rouge." I had it memorized but Thad had to read his lines off of a sheet of paper that I printed off. I think he was definitely out of his comfort zone but he was a good sport about it. He was pretty cute with his little black hat and distorted, mascara-paint mustache.



Emily, Janell and Dru, three of Thad's sisters, performed this hot little number. They crack me up! They were obviously blessed with natural dance skills and rhythm; two things I lack.



We went blackberry picking on our last day. They grow all over the place, and along the sides of the roads. They're like weeds!



Hanging out on the porch

4 comments:

Pemberley Court said...

Looks like such a wonderful time!!! Love that you can pick blackberries on the side of the road!

I'll have to refresh my Moulin Rouge ......Thad was a good sport and you are too cute! :)

Emily said...

You captured that trip and house all so well!
Ha! That video is pretty funny. I don't know what your talking about natural rhythm though! Maybe you need to watch me over again.

JonandLo said...

Beautiful pics...what a cute house! Yep, I was thinking "Dan in Real Life" looks like you had a blast w/ it.

ashley marie said...

I got it off of shabbyblogs.com and you are MORE than welcome to use it!! better yet, if you figure out how to put your name in the middle circle, LET ME KNOW!! haha, I can't figure it out