Jul 25, 2009

Babies and Blocks



Tonight Analyn learned that the round, cylinder block somehow fits into the round hole in the square block. Amazing. It's like a light bulb went on in her head and I could see her concentration and determination behind those curious, unblinking eyes. Her hands couldn't quite get the pieces to fit together, but I could tell from her several attempts that she knew that they did, somehow. Babies are fascinating. To see them try something, fail, learn from their mistake and then try again and succeed is remarkable.

For instance, once, in the mall, Analyn tried to crawl out of her car seat. She wasn't buckled in, and she didn't realize that her car seat was snapped into a stroller, which was at least two feet off of the ground. She ended up falling out of the stroller, hitting her head on the ground and crying.

A few weeks later, again in the mall, Analyn managed to crawl gracefully out of her car seat, which was in the stroller, and make it safely to the ground. She had figured out how to flip over onto her stomach and inch her way out of the car seat until her feet touched the ground, all as I watched her in amazement.

Tonight I felt very blessed to be able to watch this little girl grow up. It is the greatest privilege that I've ever had. Man I wonder if she knows how much Thad and I love her.

3 comments:

JonandLo said...

I'm sure she knows she is loved! So she inched down from the tall carseat high up on your stroller??? That is crazy. Smart little dare devil you got there!

Anonymous said...

That's one of the best things about being a mom is noticing all of the new things your baby is doing. It is so fun. I wish we could have seen her this last week but maybe in Aug. when I move to Cali with Stevo.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing, isn't it? What a lucky little girl to have you as her mama. And in answer to your question of if she knows how loved she is, she will! Half the reason I write on this journal blog is so that I have a record for my girls of just how much I loved them. Someday when they think I am annoying and embarassing, they will read this and give me pity! :)