May 28, 2009

Not Cool



I've never been that great at rollerblading. It's the balance thing. I don't have great balance. Sometimes I lose my balance just walking across the flat living room floor and I bump into the couch. It's my rotton balance that got my arm broken.

But before this happened, I did enjoy an occasional rollerblading expedition every so often; and Monday was a perfect day for rollerblading. The evening air was warm and the light breeze felt great. Rollerblading would be a good way to end a relaxing Memorial Day.

We drove to a park on the east side of Palmdale. The sidewalks were smooth and continued around the perimeter or the park, breaking in a fork to pass through a picnic and basketball area.

The whole east side of the city was out Monday evening playing basketball and hanging out with their families. Mind you, Thad and I were giants compared to the mostly Hispanic and African American crowd. Yeah, two six-foot-tall, blonde giants on rollerblades blazing through the park with a stroller; not exactly inconspicuous.

You want to know what's even more inconspicuous? The six-foot-tall, blonde giant woman flying through the air, then falling six feet to the ground in front of everyone and their families. Yep. And I don't even have an excuse. I thought I was going pretty fast, but Thad assured me we were going at a rather mediocre pace.

I'm not even sure how I lost my balance, seeing as the pavement was flat and debri-free. Thad said I gave no warnings. No waving of the arms, nothing. One minute I was whizzing past the basketball courts with the wind in my hair, and the next, my legs flew out from under me and I hung, suspended in the air for the tiniest of seconds. Yet it was long enough to think,

“This is going to hurt!”

Then gravity yanked me mercilessly back to earth, building momentum with every inch. Instinctively, I threw both of my arms behind me to break my fall, and my left hand and elbow took the brunt of the impact. My rear absorbed the rest. Oh the pain! And then I rolled. Not once. But three times. Momentum finally exhausted, I came to a stop on my elbows and knees, face in the concrete. Thad saw the whole thing from behind, and quickly bladed to my side. Probably trying not to laugh.

Thad: "Oh, Linds, that was a pretty bad fall! Are you OK?"

Me, still dazed and in pain: "I think I broke my arm!"

And I still had to rollerblade back to the car, through the crowd (holding on to Thad's arm, of course). After wiping out in front of everyone, I didn't have much dignity left.

So, after going from the ER to the Urgent Care, to an MRI office, and back the the doctor, I found out that my elbow is indeed fractured. Now I get to see an elbow specialist to find out what to do about it.

Since Monday I have found all sorts of things -- that once came naturally -- that now I can't do. Like my hair. Tried it. Didn't work. So I look homeless with my nice, kinky, air-dried hair. No big deal, as I'm not planning on driving anywhere for the next month. Picking up Analyn, getting her in her car seat, buckling it, carrying it to the car, situating it in the car, all with one arm: yeah, it's too much of a hassle.

Thad did do my ponytail this morning, however, as I had to go to the doctor's office and did want to look somewhat presentable. Consequently, I spent hours in doctors' offices today looking like this:



oh well -- I guess it could be worse!

12 comments:

JonandLo said...

Oh Linds..I was just thinking that I hadn't called to see if it was broken. NO!! So so so sorry..can't imagine how frustrating life must be with one arm...and a baby. Your hair looks cute though..did you recently get it done? =) Tell Thad he did a fabulous job of putting it up.

Brooke Monk said...

Yikes! I hope you get better soon! I guess once this ordeal is over you'll always appreciate that elbow of yours, I guess you don't fully appreciate something until you no longer have it huh? How frustrating...but good luck!

Nicole said...

Oh no! I hope your elbow feels better soon.

Pemberley Court said...

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry. It's not fair for Moms to get hurt like that. We need both our arms! Let me know if you need dinners....does your V.T. know? Let me know if I can help! You can dial the phone with one arm right? LOL

Anonymous said...

I wish we were there to help out. That just really sucks!

Williams Family said...

That's terrible!! I can't even imagine the experience you had falling in front of so many people and then having your arm be broken!! I hope you heal fast!! Good thing you have a great husband to help you out.

kat and jason said...

seriously---if thad did that to your hair--he is good!! it had little loops and stuff...i'm impressed thad!!hang in there linds...once again-you've given me a pretty good laugh.
thad will be ready to do little girl's hair in no time (jason still has a ways to go :)

Unknown said...

im sorry to hear about that, when i had my accident with the trash can-I still hate the trash can, I thought for sure I broke my leg. Let me know if you want me to put your pony tail up! hahaha

Emily said...

Ouch. Sorry about that! What a pain. Don't give up on roller blading though.
Thad did a much better pony than Shawn would have.

Jessica said...

Oh Linds! I feel so sad for you. :( If I was closer, I'd come and help you where I could. Too bad we are very, very, very far apart. Just make sure to laugh at least 3 times a day, and you'll get through it. :)

PS. Love the new layout/picture of you and Thad! Very artistic.

Jenny said...

I love to read your blog. You tell a story well. :) Sorry about your arm though. My Camille broke her arm yesterday too, and she has spent the day learning her limitations too. So sad!

Schows said...

So sorry about your arm!! Tell Thad he did a respectable job on that pony tail. Tyler did Lolas hair the other morning when I was out and well.... lets just say Lolas missing uncle Thad! haha Linds just email me what you had in mind for the bows and I'll make you a special order!