Jan 16, 2014

Happy Birthday, Benjamin Reid!!

Oh how I love you, Benjamin. I love how willing you are to accomodate others. Always willing to share. Like this morning, You felt badly that Ana didn't have a "Happy Birthday" sign, so you said that Ana could have the "Happy" part, and you could have the "Birthday" part. And at the car dealership, while we waited for an oil change on our van, you shared your fruit snacks freely with me and Jane, while Ana sat in her chair and ate every single one of her Oreos (can't say I blame her; I'd probably do the same).
You say your "f" like a "P". When you say, "fingers," and you don't pronounce the "G" it gets us every time! I love how you say "I yub you" at night. And still request the daddy song regularly. (and Caillou) And how you talk slowly and deliberately. Never in a rush to share your thoughts. Sometimes I just want to say, "Spit it out!" But I have to remind myself that you're 3, and I'm just glad that you are able to talk and communicate so well, regardless of how long it sometimes takes!

You love playing duck, duck, Goose! And Candyland, and tickle monster. You LOVE your new Christmas book, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," and you made your dad proud when you chose a construction book from our stack of reads at Barnes and Noble, for your birthday. You love anything to do with cars, planes, and trains. And rockets. And you love your sister. All throughout the day, you are calling her name. "Annn-uhhh! Ann-uhh!" In fact, often when you wake up at night, you yell for Ana instead of me. I love how you love Janie, too. When she pulls on your collar to steady herself, or grabs handfuls of your hair, or pokes and prods your face, you just laugh and giggle and say, "Jane-ie!" You are the reason we call her that.

Now, on to some things  that I am a little anxious for you to get past. Like not eating. Daddy says he wishes he had your diet. He would be a lot leaner. And waking up at night. I haven't gotten many full nights of sleep since Jane was born )
(a year in 2 weeks), and it's been more because of you than her! That needs to change! And the peeing. Ahhhhh, the peeing! When will it stop?? When will our bathtub and sink be used for washing again, and not as holding grounds for wet, urine-filled clothes? When are you going to decide to be a big boy again and stop peeing in your pants? Siggggghhhhh. Not until you're good and ready, I suppose.
You get excited about small things. Like taking a trip to Barnes and Noble, or Home
Depot, or the library. You love playing with Ana, reading books on my lap, and playing with your cars.

You are sweet and kind, and most of the time I just want to pick you up and cuddle you and squeeze you tight, and tell you how much I love you. Daddy calls you "soft eyes" because of your habit of blinking slowly and deliberately; but I think it's also because of your soft, gentle demeanor.

When you were born, I felt impressed that you were going to grow to be a strong, righteous leader and example. You are going to be a great missionary and father, and member of the church. I feel the heavy responsibility to teach you and raise you to become that person. I pray daily to receive guidance from Heavenly Father as I do this.

We love you Benjamin!!


Gma and Gpa Monk stopped by before dinner to give Benji his presents and to sing Happy Birthday



Grandma and Grandpa Hymas came to dinner to celebrate with us, and in all the rush to get through dinner, presents, and cake, I forgot to get any pictures of them!


1 comment:

Natalie said...

Oakley told me that cute little boy likes the daddy song! :) She sure had fun with them the other night!