Oct 9, 2011

Some Things ...

... that I want to remember about Ana at 3 years old




14. When I take her picture she does one of these three things, every time (not smile, smile with her lips tight over her teeth, or make a really silly face).

13. She's a talker! She wants to tell me about anything and everything. I hope she doesn't grow out of that. 

12. She is a social butterfly. She loves loves loves playing with other kids around her age.

11. She makes up songs and sings all over the house. Sometimes when she's really feelin it, she'll close her eyes use her hands to do some sort of interpretive dance.

10. She still wears a diaper at night, and first thing every morning she takes it off, wipes her own tush, tosses the diaper (without wrapping it up) in the trash can, and puts on underwear. I think if you can wipe your own tush, you're done with diapers, but she still pees soooo much at night that I don't think she's ready yet!



9. EVERY morning she ventures across the hallway, enters my room, approaches the bed, and boldly whispers, "Let's eat breakfast." If I don't answer she repeats herself louder and louder until I have to get up before she resorts to hitting me in the face to get her point across.

8. She has the biggest imagination. She can and does play with any inanimate object in the house, including silverware, cereal, and finger food. She loves to pretend she's the mommy and I'm Ana. In fact, we switch places so many times throughout the day I can never remember who I am. But I don't have to worry because she corrects me if I forget. (Ex. Me: Ana, do you want a snack? Ana: No, you're Ana. I'm the mom. Me: now I'm confused because do I tell her I want a snack since I'm playing her, or do I ask my "mom" if she wants a snack?) And I have to be careful what I say around her and how I discipline her because she'll regurgitate everything with her dolls, which is really funny.


7. She loves playing house and toys. All day long she asks, "Do you want to play with me?" And she's pretty precise about how we play. She tells us what to say and if I say something wrong, she simply says, "no, say ......." And Thad and I have become pretty good at crying on demand. (ex. Ana: I just pushed you. Me: sigh, (I don't feel like fake crying.) Ana: Cry. CRY! )

6. She isn't afraid to tell strangers how much she loves her new skirt, or that she played at Kylie's house today.


5. She has a memory like a sponge. She knows and recognizes the alphabet, can count to 20 (for the most part), knows that her name starts with A, that her birthday is Sept. 24, and the month of me and Thad's birthdays. She knows all of our middle names. And where our old apt. is. And where her babysitter from a month ago lives.

4. Her fine, blond hair slips out of its ponytail constantly and spends most days lose and free, and a little ratted from play.


3. She has big, beautiful blue eyes that demand your full attention and honesty.


2. She memorizes books after a few times through and she will correct you if you skip or mispronounce even one word.


1. She is such a girl. When we play dolls, she always wants to be saved. Once, she and her friend Bridger were playing in her bedroom and I overheard Ana say in a high-pitched voice (on behalf of her toy), "Help! Save me!"  It was Bridger's reply that made me laugh, though. He said in the most blank and clueless voice, "Save ... you?" He had no idea what she meant! She's sensitive to feelings, and doesn't like when you're upset with her. She'll say, "Don't get mad at me," in a pleading voice. Or if I'm mad at Thad or vice versa, she'll say, "Mommy, be nice to Daddy." What a peacemaker!

No comments: