We
spent the weekend in Boise, and I love that city! It's beautiful! It
was warm and sunny, and so many more trees than here ... and so many
shops, and a cool downtown. I wouldn't mind moving to a city like that.
Anyway, the purpose of our trip was the Boise Half Marathon. Thad signed
up to run it, we drove for a little more than 4 hours to get there,
bought a night's stay in a nice hotel .....and he almost didn't run it.
| Beautiful downtown |
I
guess every race can't go smoothly. Sooner or later you're bound to
have a little hiccup, right? Because Saturday morning everything went
wrong. First, Thad pulled his running shoes out of his suitcase and
realized that he'd brought the wrong shoes. He brought his old, worn out ones. That's a big deal. When
shoes get too worn out they don't provide adequate support and they hurt
your feet and other parts of your body: especially when you're running
long distances. Plus I guess you have to get into a runner's mode before your race, and Thad said that as soon as he pulled out the wrong shoes, he panicked a little.
Then, after Thad was dressed and ready to leave for his race, he just about left without his stopwatch and iPod. Thanks to me, he didn't. (The kids and I didn't plan to go to the race because it was out in the middle of nowhere with no playground, and it would have been a long 2 hours with 2 little kids)
So
Thad finally left the hotel with plenty of time to spare, but at 10
minutes to start time, he called me, upset, and ready to come home.
Mapquest gave him directions to some bogus address in the middle of
nowhere, and he had no idea where the race was. So I jumped on the
hotel's computer down in the lobby and while Benjamin crawled around the
lobby with a poopy diaper with Analyn chasing after him, pulling off
his clothes, I looked up the address of the race and figured out how to
get Thad there. By this time he would have been a few minutes late, and
wouldn't have time to warm up. But he would still make it.
But
about 5 minutes later, he called me back and was totally defeated. He
had left his runner's packet in our hotel room, which had his running
bib (his number with the computer chip that records his time when he
crosses the finish line). We were both bummed that we'd paid for the
race and come all
this way and now he wasn't going to get to run it. Maybe with all that
had gone wrong, it was a sign that he wasn't supposed to run for some
reason. I hung up the phone with him and a few minutes later he texted
me and said he was going to ask to run anyway. And he did, but he had to
start on his own and time himself. Once he started running, everything
was fine, and he tied with his personal record. So after all was said
and done, he had a good run and our trip was complete. | Benj on the long drive to Boise Friday morning. We had to wake him up to put him in the car and he wasn't very happy at first. |
These videos are funny. The first one is of Benj and the mirrors in the hotel room. He just couldn't get the concept. The second video is Ana rockin out on the car ride home. It was long. So we had to have a little fun.
3 comments:
You have such CUTE KIDS! I loved the videos. Made my night!
Nice Thad-I'm glad you have a fun weekend. It's fun to get out and so something new. Benjamin is growing up so fast. He's getting big!
You are so lucky you got to go to downtown Boise! I love that place!!! I'm glad the race turned out and Thad was able to do so well!
Post a Comment