Aren't they handsome? My sweet Grandpa Bonner passed away a couple weeks ago. I didn't know my grandpa very well. They lived across the country, and the older they got, the less able they were to fly to Ohio and see us. And as us kids got older, our family took less and less vacations during the summer to visit them. What I do remember about my grandpa is: He was very tall and handsome. I loved him but I always dreaded seeing him for the first time, because he'd draw me in for a big bear hug and my face got smashed into his pocket with the pen in it. It hurt. I remember my grandpa's big button nose. I remember the sweet smell of his and my grandma's apartment across from Temple Square in Salt Lake City. I loved the smell of their home.
I remember eating crunchy ginger bread snaps out of the china bowl in their family room, and eating juicy cherries on their balcony. They always had tons of big, sweet cherries, and us kids liked to see who could spit their pits the farthest off the balcony.
I vaguely remember my grandpa's laugh. It was big and hearty. I remember him telling stories, and taking long pauses between each sentence. Sometimes I got impatient and just wanted him to get on with his stories. I wasn't old enough to enjoy them, but I liked to laugh along with him because his stories always made him laugh.
What I don't remember personally about my grandpa, my mother fills in. She tells us the most amazing stories about his strong character, unbreakable integrity, and faithful service in our church.
He was a wonderful father. Once, their family was hit by a drunk driver and my mother flew through the windshield of their car. Miraculously, no one was killed, despite the absense of seatbelts at that time. My grandpa picked my mom up and carried her a great distance to get her help. Only after the rest of the family was cared for at the hospital did my grandpa stop to let the doctor check him. He had a broken rib and ankle.
This is just one of the many times that my grandpa sacrificed for his family and his children. He used his priesthood to save my mom's life more than once. I'm grateful for his righteous example and influence. Because of him, three generations have grown up in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Now he is with the love of his life up in Heaven, and I know he's very happy. I love you, Grandpa.
No comments:
Post a Comment