February was a crazy month. March was even crazier. I've been meaning to update but time keeps slipping away and now that everything is over and done, it seems silly to go back and recount the last two months. But then I feel this constant itch to write it all down, and writing by hand takes too long anymore. And if I'm going to type it up to save time, I might as well post it to my blog. So here we are. I've got to break it up because a lot has happened.
Part 1: Rocky Road
The first week of February I took a pregnancy test, and it came out positive. I was ecstatic. It was all I could do to keep a straight face until Thad got home from work. I slipped a wide smile as I asked him to check something in the bathroom for me. He took one look inside and yelled, “Oh my gosh!” All night I rambled happily... “I can’t wait for this ...” “I’m not looking forward to that ...” The timing was perfect. I couldn’t wait to be pregnant again, to get sick, to carry around a little extra weight in my mid-section (I know; weird, but true), to see the baby’s heartbeat on the ultrasound, to cradle a newborn again. We both went to bed glowing that evening.
The next day I got a call from Thad. “I’m getting laid off at the end of the month.” My heart stopped. Talking over drumming in my ears and the blood pulsing through my chest, I immediately assured him that we’d be fine. We’d get through it. Gone was the excitement over the baby. Gone were the happy moments I looked forward to. I fought against the tears all night, and cried all the morning after. I cried out of fear: fear over being unemployed in this horrible economy. Fear over losing the best insurance benefits we’ll probably ever have. Fear over what lay ahead for our family. I cried out of sorrow: sorrow over losing my Layton friends when their husbands get transferred to the next job. Sorrow over losing the comforts of a constant income, over having to use our savings to live off of instead of putting it toward a home down payment.
After about a week the shock wore off and we got to work. There were insurance policies to comb through, health coverage rates to compare, resumes to touch up and send out, contacts to call, friends to network with, workshops to attend. Once we came to grips with what was happening, things seemed to be looking up. And we still had the baby ...
And then came Valentine’s Day. We were headed out the door on our way to church when I started cramping. It was intense, and I knew something was wrong. Then I bled. A lot. I called the doctor. I cried. I skipped church, and felt helpless just sitting on the couch waiting. I knew I had miscarried at six weeks and there was nothing I could do.
My thoughts raced ... First Thad, and now this? At least with the pregnancy I had something positive to look forward to, and now that’s gone too. We tried for nine months with Analyn, and it felt like forever. It was such a blessing to get pregnant so quickly this time. All for nothing now. We’ll have to start all over, and who knows how long it will take the next time. And now my kids will be almost three years apart and they’re not even going to be friends! (I know, that last thought was a bit irrational).
The following day I wallowed in self pity. How can you just be pregnant one moment, and the next, not be? It feels wrong. It feels weird. It feels unfair. But at the same time I know that Heavenly Father knew what He was doing when he sent that little baby down. And for some reason, He took that little baby back. And soon enough, I’ll get another little baby. And everything will be fine.
9 comments:
Oh, you guys..... I am so sorry. I didnt know about either of those. Our prayers (and tears) for you and your little family. Hopefully you can find something to be cheerful about again.
When it rains, it pours...That's so sad, but we learn from our sorrows to appreciate the times of happiness. I hope you feel comforted, and can also figure things out.
Linds.... I really am so sorry. I had no idea about the pregnancy, and I'm sorry about your loss. I can relate a little though, I miscarried at about 6 weeks, too, before we had Jake, and it took about 7 months to get prego with him, and that was with medication. I know how sad it is, and I'm SOOO sorry you had to go through that!! :/ But keep having faith that Heavenly Father will bless you guys with another baby!! You guys must be SUPER strong to be going through these trials. Hang in there, you're in our prayers!!! Love ya!!
Those are two horrible things to have to go through. but to have it happen all at once is even more heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. At least you two have each other. I have a quote on my mirror that helps me in times like these. It says: "If we are serious about our discipleship, Jesus will eventually request each of us to do those very things which are the most difficult for us to do. Thus, sometimes the best people have the worst experiences because they are the most ready to learn." Elder Neal A. Maxwell
Love you both so, so much! You'll definitely be in our prayers.
Okay...I know you don't really know me other than on the family website, but I have been through the miscarriage and completely understand the feelings you are having. It took us 9 months with our first one and the pregnant right off with the second and then losing it and my heart breaking!!And I said those EXACT words of my kids being 3 years apart and not being friends and going to school when I had planned....and so on!! I have a poem for you...it is in the book called Gone Too Soon!
Just those few weeks -
When I lost you.
I lost a lifetime of hopes, plans, dreams, and aspirations....
A slice of my future simply vanished overnight.
Just those few weeks -
It wasn't enough to convince others how special and important you were.
How odd, a truly unique person has recently died and no one is mourning the passing.
Just a mere few weeks -
And no "normal" person would cry all night over a tiny, unfinished baby, or get depressed and withdraw day after endless day.
No one would, so why am I?
You were those few weeks my little one.
You darted in ad out of my life too quickly.
But it seems that's all the time you needed to make my life so much richer and give me a small glimpse of eternity.
(Susun Erling)
Good luck! Cry it out and know my heart is breaking with yours! Our prayers for Thad to find a job are with you too!
My heart to you too.
Linds, I'm so, so sorry. You'll be in our prayers! We miss you guys lots!
Linds, my heart goes out to you and Thad. I hope that everything will work out with future employment opportunities and everything else, like finances and health insurance, etc. As for the miscarriage... I had one at twelve weeks at the end of 07. That was truly one of the hardest things for me to go through. Even though I was lucky enough to get pregnant again 2 weeks after my d&c, I was paranoid throughout my pregnancy with Reese that things weren't right - even after I passed the 12 week mark. And then when I passed my old due date I cried all over again thinking about the miscarriage I had. It was hard to find out that after testing the placenta, that there was nothing genetically wrong with the fetus and so I blamed myself for all that went wrong. I could go on and on about all the different thoughts and feelings I had, but I will spare you :) The best thing that came from this hardship was that Joe and I became closer than we had ever been before. I can only hope the same for you and Thad - remember to be patient and loving with one another :) You guys are definitely in my thoughts and prayers
I just hopped on your blog from Erika's and just had to leave a comment here for you and Thad. My heart goes out to you both. We just experienced the EXACT same thing--and all of what you wrote I experienced as well--the cramping, the feeling that the kids will be too far apart in age, the wallowing in self pity and all the rest of the roller coaster of emotions that go with it, etc. I really don't think there's much harder of a thing for a woman to go through and on top of that the job loss (glad things are working out for you guys in that regard). Hang in there and remember the Lord is in COMPLETE control! Good luck in Idaho Falls!
Post a Comment