
Awkward Situation #4
On the last day of my internship, I expected to go to work, finish updating a contact list that I’d been working on for the last two weeks, be bored out of my mind, and then say goodbye to everyone and go home. Instead, I started my day out with this: Mike and Steve (one of the graphic designers) are making small talk outside my office, and in saunters Jon (as usual) around 8:20 a.m. He greeted us all cordially, then:
Jon: “OK, someone has been parking in my space all summer, and I can’t figure out who it is.”
My heart skipped wildly as I sat in my office and my body stiffened ever so slightly. Then the description: a teal Pontiac GrandAm. Oh, crap! I’ve been parking in his spot! My cheeks flushed with mild embarrassment. Jon was a pretty laid back, Hawaiian shirt-wearing guy, but seriously? Did this have to happen on my last day?
Me: “Oh, sorry, I think that’s me.” Then as a side note: “ I didn’t know that was your spot.”
Jon, trying to be polite and not make me feel too dumb: “Oh, well, usually the spot closest to the entrance is reserved for the CEO or owner or a company.”
Me, in my head: OK first, if you didn’t roll into work half an hour late every day, maybe you wouldn’t lose your spot. And second, our office is a strip-mall setup, where just about every space is in front of someone’s entrance. How was I supposed to know which one was yours?
1 comment:
Uh was your name on your parking spot Jon?? If not, totally free reign. Thanks for the fun 2 days and for the uh..I won't say over the blog =) but they saved me..HA!
Post a Comment