Mar 8, 2009

I'm Moving

I'm moving to San Simeon, CA I've just decided. Here are my reasons why.

1. It's beautiful
2. It has rolling, green hills and grazing cattle on one side and the beautiful ocean with mesmorizing blue waters on the other
3. It is home of Hearst Castle, and Elephant Seals
4. San Simeon makes me happy
5. I only have 4 reasons because gas was like, $2.79 a gallon, there aren't any Walmarts or Targets (or anything for that matter) around for miles, and restaurant choices are pretty slim. Oh, and grocery prices are insane. But that's beside the point ...

We went on a weekend trip to Hearst Castle and found that there's actually quite a bit to do around there. On Friday we:

1. Took a walk at a pretty park where the birds weren't the least bit shy and the ducks expected Thad to feed them.













2. Walked around downtown San Luis Obispo and found this little number. I call it "Wall of Gum."









3. Stopped at Morro Bay to look at Morro Rock







4. Checked into our hotel and ate dinner at El Chorlito and then drove all over tim buck two trying to find a fast food place or a grocery store so I could eat something filling because my dinner was a little too soggy and weird-tasting to eat.

On Saturday we:

1. Took a tour of Hearst Castle in San Simeon. It's named after William Randolph Hearst, a wealthy newspaper publisher and businessman. He built the mansion on top of a hill right next to the ocean. It was gorgeous! There were about 5 or six "guest houses" that were each 2,000 square feet plus, multiple gardens, tennis courts, a huge outdoor pool and a huge indoor pool, and the ginormous "casa grande" as the main castle is called.

These are pictures of the castle from the bottom of the hill. Look in the center of the picture at the top of the green and you see the little castle speck.

















Some time after the guide gave a big schpeal about how important it is not to use a flash when taking photos inside the castle because it harms the art work, I decided to take a picture of this awesome vase lamp (below). I forget why it was so awesome, but anyway, I have Thad whip out the camera (I'm holding Analyn at the time) assure him I turned the flash off, then CLICK.. Flicker... off goes the flash in front of the guide and everyone present. This is followed by my embarrassed laughter and Thad whispering, "I thought you turned the flash off!" along with a few indignant looks from other people.





2. Hung out with some Elephant Seals at Elephant Seal Beach. For some reason I didn't take any pictures of the seals. I just filmed a bunch of useless video with the video camera that now I can't figure out how to download onto the computer -- oh well.



3. Attempted to see a lighthouse but it was closed. Lame!

4. And watched the Sun set at the windy San Simeon Beach

















Three cheers for weekend getaways.

8 comments:

Janell said...

How fun for you guys! It looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Okay that looks way too fun! I need some sunshine and a beach would be great too.

Unknown said...

Ya, i remember our hearst castle adventure. Your not really moving are you??? hahaha. Cool pictures!

Jenny said...

Thanks for posting the beautiful photos! Land locked and snow this morning...sigh.

Talia said...

I didn't know there was a castle nearby! We may have to take a weekend getaway ourselves! Any day near the ocean is a good day for me. Hopefully this weekend. ;) I love your castle pics and you look stinkin' cute in that hat!

Jen J. said...

So that gum wall reminds me of the post outside our apartment where we stuck gum...how funny!

Jessica said...

Really, really cool trip. I loved the pictures by the way. Very artistic. Ah, what I would give to have that warm sunshine and a beach! :)

PS. I laughed when I saw the gum wall... it reminded me of our all famous gum pole outside of #303... I told you the idea was genius!

Jessica said...

Okay, I'm an idiot... I didn't see Jen had posted a comment about the famous gum pole until after I had posted mine. Maybe I should read these things before I make a comment of my own...