We had an eventful evening last night. It started with Ana begging me to have a
friend over after cub scouts. The house was a wreck and I needed to
clean it, make dinner, and prepare FHE before Thad came home in an hour
and a half. Ana promised to play downstairs so I could clean, so I said
yes.
Five minutes later the kids came back with Kyreni
and started playing with the couch cushions in the family room while I
started picking up. After about 10-15 minutes I was just starting to
unload the dishwasher when Ana let out a piercing cry, following by
intense crying. I ran over to her. Her face was on the windowsill and
the rest of her body was draped over the arm of the couch. I grabbed her
and her temple was all bloody. It scared me. I was trying to process
what happened. I thought maybe Kyreni had stepped on her hair or
something, but that didn't explain the blood. Then I saw the cut next to
her eye, and it looked deep. Not just a normal cut. I could see white
under the blood. I scooped her up and carried her to the bathroom, while
she dripped blood on the floor and all over her shirt and skirt. I was
kind of panicking a little and as I set her down on the bathroom sink, I
thought, OK, I need to act calm, so she will calm down. So I said over
and over as I got a wash cloth, and wet it, and pressed it against her
eye, "Hey, Ana, everything is OK. It's OK, sweetie. It's just a bad cut.
It's OK." I said this over and over I don't know how many times. I
called my next door neighbor first, to see if she could watch the kids so I could take
Ana to Urgent Care, but she had to go into work in a half hour. So I
tried to think who I could call next. Then I thought I'd better call
Thad and let him know what's going on. I still didn't know what to do
with Ana. It was about 4:30 by that time, so Thad just came straight
home. He called his parents and they got here about 5 minutes after he
did. They stayed with the kids and we drove Ana to Urgent Care. She was
still screaming because her eye hurt, and also because she was scared to
get stitches. I'd told her she would probably need some.
She
calmed down a bit in the car. She asked me to tell her some stories, so
I made up a story about a frog named Dot, and a fly named Sparkle. Then
I sang the Rainbow song from Primary. By the time we got to the Dr.
office she was pretty calm, and the cut wasn't bleeding so bad. It
looked nasty though. The PA and his assistant were good with Ana. They
joked with her and put her at ease. It took a while to numb her wound,
but the stitches went fairly quickly. While we were waiting for her cut
to get numb, the nurse and PA had stepped out of the room, and Ana and I
were sitting on the bed, and Ana goes, "Um, is it OK to toot in here?"
She cracks me up. She was a champ, man! She joked and talked the whole
time, even though I could tell she was a little nervous during parts. By
the end she was totally calm. She got to pick out 2 prizes from a
treasure chest, and she picked out one for her and one for Benji. We got
McDonald's on the way home, and had ice cream for dessert after a very
quick FHE. So the evening ended on a good note. She even got to Face
Time Grandma and Grandpa Monk in Vegas, and show them and Kath and her
cousins her neat stitches and scar.
We're glad she
was OK and was so brave today. And thankful for Thad's parents for
coming over on such short notice. They played with Benji and Jane and
fed them dinner.
In the car. Thad drove and I rode in the back with Ana. She calmed down after about 5 minutes, enough for me to take a picture!
Waiting
for the numbing stuff to kick in. By now she was pretty much back to
her normal self. At least enough to stick her tongue out for a picture
Back at home. We'll have to go back to the urgent care on Saturday to get the stitches removed
The
next day she had some swelling and bruising. Her eyelid was a bit
purple. I had to run some errands and I felt a little weird carting her
around with nothing covering her gash. We got a few inquisitive looks.
So when we got home I covered it as best as I could with a bandaid. I
just hope I can get it back off without pulling off the stitches.
1 comment:
I'm glad the shock is over. Good for you for being a brave mama.
Post a Comment