Dec 26, 2012

Weird Day

Last Sunday was kind of a weird day. It started out with me burning my fingers on my left hand, with my straightener. They started blistering almost immediately, and I had to keep them immersed in a cup of cold water for the rest of the morning because they stung so bad.

I took this picture about a week later. All the scabby parts were puffy, red blisters

Then, on the way to church, I was digging around for a pen in the glove compartment, and I got the nastiest paper cut on the middle finger of my right hand, right at the base of my nail, where it meets the skin. And that sucker bled like no paper cut I've ever seen. By the time we got to church my fingertip was all bloody, and I got blood smears on the church bag (aka kid's toy bag).

So I sat in sacrament meeting, with a little ziplock bag full of melting ice in one hand, to soothe my burning fingers, and a bloody paper towel (courtesy of the church kitchen) wrapped around the middle finger of my other hand. And then there was Benjamin. He didn't take a nap before church, and was crying over every little thing. So every few minutes I'd have to bend over and break up a fight between him and Ana, or pick up his toy, etc. And every time I did it seemed my bloody paper towel would fall on the ground, and I'd have to pick it up and wrap it around my finger again, using the unburned fingers of my other hand. I was a mess.

Then at some point, my melted ice leaked out of the zip lock bag, and spilled all over the front of my skirt. At that point I started laughing, and Thad leaned over and whispered, "Are you sure you don't want to just go home and go to bed?" (joking of course)

And then I did have to go home, right after the passing of the sacrament, because the water in my ziplock got too warm to provide relief to the fire in my fingers, and there wasn't any ice in the church kitchen.

So I slipped out with Benji screaming "See daddy!! See Ana!!," ran home and grabbed a totally indiscreet ice pack for my fingers, drove B around until he fell asleep, then read the Ensign in the church parking lot until he woke up right before Relief Society.

And the cherry on top of our Sunday at church? One of Ana's Sunbeam teachers pulled me out of R.S. right before the end, to tell me that Ana had just thrown up in the classroom. I just closed my eyes and sighed. Heavily.

Did I mention that we've had the flu ALL WEEK, and all week I've been rinsing out chunks, scrubbing throw up stains, and washing dirty clothes?

The poor girl sat in her little Sunbeams chair, in the corner of the classroom, covered with throw up, and totally embarrassed. And the smell rising up from the carpet ...  ughhhh. We had to strip her down to her undies and cover her with her coat to keep her warm. I pity the innocent people who have to use that little room next.

That's probably what I get for trying to go to church on Sunday. Benji and I had both had the dreaded flu earlier in the week, and I was foolish enough to think that Ana was in the clear!


No comments: