Dec 26, 2012

Christmastime

One of my favorite shows that Ana watches is Caillou. Seriously, I've gotten attached to it. I think Cauillou is such a good kid, and I pretty much idolize his perfect mom (OK, not REALLY, but kind of). I know lots of people can't stand him because his voice is whiny (and I agree, it is), but I love him because he is always obedient, he's nice to his little sister, Rosy, he has a great imagination, and he keeps himself busy all day, but never watches TV.

Anyway, this month there was a "Caillou's Holiday Movie" on TV and I recorded it for Ana. And I loved watching it just as much as she did! I think I loved it so much because Caillou and his family enjoyed every minute of the Christmas season, and they did all of the fun things that make Christmas feel like Christmas.

So I made it a goal this year to enjoy every minute of the season, and not get caught up in projects, stress, present shopping, etc. So at the beginning of December, the fam and I made a list of every thing we wanted to do leading up to Christmas, and when we wanted to do them. And I made a list of all the Christmas crafts and fun things that I wanted to do with the kids to get us in the Christmas spirit. That way, there would be no lamenting, "Oh, we didn't get to do ... or ... "we never got around to doing this ...

So all that being said, it has been so much fun getting into the Christmas mood with the kids this year!! This is a little of what we've been up to:




We made trees one day, and Ana made Christmas cards for her friends on another day. Benjamin even made one for Daddy



Made snowflakes to hang


Made these kind of homeless-looking snowmen out of old socks. After I took the picture, I realized they were missing toothpick noses. They look much better now


Saw Santa Claus at the mall



B was too scared to sit on Santa's lap, but not too scared to yell, "Bye Santa!" when we left!



Watching LOTS of Christmas movies; spent a week and a half being sick with the flu (I think Benji had it here)

Giving pony rides

Making ginger bread houses. Thad grew up with this tradition, and loves the whole experience. Me, not so much. I don't love candy all that much, not like chocolate anyway. And I just get frustrated because my walls never stay together, and I'm not creative at all. But it's a fun tradition to keep going for the kids' (and Thad's) sakes



Making cookies for neighbors. Ana and B loved helping. When they see me doing something in the kitchen. Lots of times they'll say, "Can I help?" Or B says, "help, pee!" And without another word, they each grab a chair and push it up to the counter


No comments: