Thad had to drive to Boise for work last Wednesday. We debated whether he should go since it was so close to my due date and if anything should happen he'd be about 4 hours away. But we decided that he should go anyway. Thad just made me promise not to do anything too exerting that might put me into labor while he was away.
So it was a nice surprise when I saw a puddle of water in the hallway outside the bathroom door, and opened the door to find an inch of water covering the linoleum, soaking the laundry piles on the floor and seeping gently into the carpet in the hallway. I happened to be on the phone with Thad when I made this nice little discovery and my first words were, "Oh, crap!" No wonder Analyn says that word now.
I knew exactly what the problem was. The day before I released the water hose to drain the washing machine. I put the plug on top of the washer. That night Thad put the hose back in place and snapped the cover over it, not realizing that there was a plug for the hose. So I ran a load of laundry and all the water intended for that wash instead drained straight to the floor. It ran for a good 30 minutes before I noticed the water.
So I threw all of the sopping wet laundry in the bathtub, grabbed all of the towels that I could find, and threw them on the ground, all the while praying that no water leaked to our downstairs neighbors' apartment. As I was setting the fans on the floor, the telephone rang, and sure enough, our downstairs neighbors found a trickle of water coming from their ceiling and called the manager. So here I am talking to the manager and all I can think is, I'm having a baby any day now and now I have to deal with this, and how much will we have to pay for repairs?
So long story short, a maintenance guy came and ripped up the edges of the carpet in our hallway and in our neighbor's hallway, and ran a shopvac underneath to dry everything out. The next day a carpet guy came to staple the carpet back down. Not much damage overall but we haven't seen the bill yet.
4 comments:
Oh man! I am so sorry. Things usually tend to fall apart when the husband is far, far, away. I hope you're able to "hold it in" till Thad gets home. Lol! Good luck with the next few days!
ummm...I looked on here b/c I saw you posted and came to see pics of the baby..and you wrote about a water leak??? What the heck..where are my pictures?? I want to see him!
Ya, that is just how things seem to work at our house. Atleast you knew what the problem was so you weren't having to dig into washing machine and toilet!! I too was hoping the "Bathroom Excitment" post included baby pictures. I am dying to see him too!
No baby yet?! I thought for sure you'd have had him by now! How are you doing? How fun for you guys to have a boy next and have one of each right off. I bet Thad's excited! And I totally agree with your pregnancy pains post- the end is always the worst but you're almost there! I was dying laughing on your morning routine of hobbling getting up- I'm like a 90 yr old woman my last month!! Seriously, it's bad. Anyway, hang in there and good luck. Miss ya!
Post a Comment