Nov 15, 2008

Why am I happy?


I visited our old downstairs neighbor yesterday. Sarah's a single grandmother who lives in our apartment complex. She is the nicest lady in the world. She watches two of her granddaughters a few times a week, and I took them cookies once.

I liked having her as a neighbor. She was quiet, and I knew if we ever needed something (like an egg to make cookies) we could ask her. We always exchanged hellos in passing, and gave her updates on how were were doing when we met her going up or down the stairs to our apartment. Somehow I felt kind of safe knowing that she was there.

When we moved to a 2-bedroom apartment in the same complex, she brought her granddaughters over one day to say hi, and let us know that she didn't forget about us.

As we talked yesterday I introduced her to Analyn for the first time. We talked about her and I looked down to watch Analyn for a moment: her eyes darted this way and that, taking in her surroundings. Her little head bobbed around as she squirmed against my chest. When I looked up again, Sarah had tears in her eyes. Was she crying?

"You guys are happy, aren't you?" she asked. It was more of a statement than a question. Her comment took me by surprise. "Yeah, we are happy," I replied.

I thought about her comment as I walked back toward my apartment to get the mail. It was sunny and beautiful outside, and there was a light breeze. Why am I happy? I thought.

A hundred reasons flooded my mind. I have a loyal husband who loves me, and respects and supports me, and now I have a beautiful little girl to watch and teach and love. I know who I am: I am a daughter of God. He sent me here. He knows me. I can talk to Him whenever I want, as many times as I want, and I know He hears me and loves me. I know I will live with Him again when I leave this life.

I know why I came here to Earth: to gain a body and to be tested, so I can learn and grow and try to become more like Christ. I get side-tracked often, and forget what I'm doing and take detours. So many times I get bogged down, but eventually I always remember why I'm here, and then I can start over with a clean slate.

When I reached the mailbox I was smiling. I have so many reasons to be happy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better. We have so much to be thankful for and I will always be grateful for the gospel and my family.

Pemberley Court said...

Diddo! Thanks for sharing!!!!

JonandLo said...

I am happy too! Even though I have been packing for 4 days straight, trying to organize furniture in the tiny little apartment, and gearing up to move the the bitter cold. yes, even with all that happening, I stop and think, I am happy! good post!

ashley marie said...

hey i found your blog! coolness -- what a sweet little baby girl you have!!! congrats!

kat and jason said...

looks like you have been up a lot of nights lately considering how many new posts you have done recently. cool new couches, good job to thad running, cute room, and good story.

Jessica said...

Linds, awesome post. I loved it. I read it awhile ago, but didn't have enough time to leave a comment. So I'm back again. :)

I got your message yesterday... you will be seeing something in the mail pretty soon! Thanks for calling back so quickly, and sorry if I caused a charge on the text I sent! I will remember that in the future.